History Reheated

Life's Insane and So Are We

Monday, July 26, 2004

Wal-Mart, How I Hate Thee...Let Me Count the Ways
 
I hate Wal-Mart.  I have for a long time.  Yes, there prices are cheaper and all that, but almost every time I go to Wal-Mart I end up being more inconvenienced than saving a few pennies is worth.  Give me a Target or Shopko any day.  Yes, it is convenient to have a 24 hour Wal-Mart right up the road from me, especially when it's almost 11pm and we realize that we don't have enough formula left to feed Erik in the middle of the night. BUT it shouldn't take nearly an hour to acquire said formula from a place that's 2 blocks away. That's a another story....

What has brought on this tirade you may wonder?  Well, I'll tell you.  It took place at Sam's Club yesterday afternoon when Chad and I attempted to purchase a large canister of formula for Erik.  We acquired said canister along with some tuna and some DVD-Rs and proceeded to check out.  In our possession we had a rebate check for the formula.  When the cashier tried to process it, it was denied.  Thinking that the cashier was simply unsure of how to process it, we didn't think anything of it.  However, it turned out that Wal-Mart (of which Sam's Club is a part of, if you didn't know) said that Chad had bounced a $3 check and was therefore blocked from using checks of any kind at any Wal-Mart company.  Not only had Chad apparently bounced a check, but he did it in Virginia.  Now, I'm curious how that was accomplished since neither of us have ever been to Virginia.  Chad was steamed and so was I.  We just wanted to buy some food for our son and go home.  We were told that we had to call this company that works with Wal-Mart to figure this out.  So Chad does this and is talking to someone from India about why he had a bounced check in Virginia when we live in Minnesota.  They run a credit check on Chad and everything is clear, but they can't fix the problem unless they do a check on me as well since I'm also on the Sam's Club account.  I didn't have my ID on me while we were at Sam's Club, so we would have to call them back from home so they could make sure that I didn't write the bad check in Virginia.  At this point Chad and I had had it and we left Sam's Club without any of our intended purchases.  We proceeded to Target and were in and out within 15 minutes.  The Sam's Club fiasco took about an hour.

Turns out, neither of us wrote a bad $3 check (duh, wouldn't our bank inform us if we did?) and the company in India has no idea why this occurred.  But we still have to talk to Sam's Club and find out why the hell this happened to us.  And we aren't the only ones this has happened to.  The wife of one of Chad's coworkers had this happen to her as well. 

Ugh...I hate Wal-Mart.


2 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM , Blogger Tricia said...

    Ugh, I read someone elses blog today on how they hated Wal-Mart as well. I think it is time to rise up and build our own shopko store in this area. That would solve the problem. Now, we just have to figure out where the capital to build said store would come from. Maybe you can sue the Indian company for 3,000,000 dollars, one million times the trouble you had for 3 dollars (hehe) and we can go from there.

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Katie said...

    Hm, yeah, Walmart can be a real pain in the ass. It's the only place I got a pair of pajama pants and they ripped 15 minutes after putting them on (no, they weren't too small for me either). And it's the only place that has the real tendency of smelling like cabbage. Not to mention, I have a few roommates that would like to overthrow the Walmart Regime. Perhaps your Shopko installation and the removal of Walmart could...collaborate.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home