History Reheated

Life's Insane and So Are We

Thursday, July 24, 2003

A Tale of Work and Play

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on Tuesday. I enjoyed it, even though the newest Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher would anger me to the point of wanting to throw the book (those who have already read the book know what I mean.) The fact that I read about 500 of the 870 pages while at work tells you how busy it's been here. Not very. Hell, the fact that I'm blogging while at work should say the exact same thing.

I enjoy my job, very low stress level and all that, but the downtime sometimes drives me up a wall. I feel somewhat useless, especially when I'm sitting at my own desk off of the supply room and all of these busy attoneys and paralegals and the like some walking in and can plainly see me just sitting here, typing away ot playing a game or reading a book. The downtime is especially abundant when the part-time messenger is working and the facilities department has nothing for me to do so I'm also messenging. So three people doing a job that only requires two on a really busy day. I've been here two weeks and I've only gone home with sore legs and feet on 3 days, my first three days on the job. I guess I'm just so used to having jobs that you're supposed to be doing something all the time or else you're slacking off has just made me a bit paranoid. Hell, it's all right for me to even get a bit of shopping done while on the job. For example, today is Thursday and every Thursday there is a Farmers' Market on Nicollet Mall which my building is nice and close to. It would be perfectly fine for me to pick up a few things on my way back from a run.

I do get to do quite a bit of walking though. We have a certain zone of downtown that we deliver documents to, sometimes we go out of that zone after making people beg for us to do it. Derek (the person I replaced) told me that sometimes there are even trips to the Metrodome to drop stuff off and, in return, Twins tickets are usually handed over since it's a good 5-6 blocks out of our zone. For example, earlier today I had to drop of some papers at a place located down by the river. Our building is located nowhere near the river. So I took the bus for most of the way there. I walked there and back earlier in the week and it takes about an hour and a half round trip by foot, only 45 minutes if I take the bus part of the way. On Tuesday someone tried to get us to go pick up something at one of the U of M libraries. That simply was not going to happen.

On a different note, this Sunday is the marathon concert Chad and I are attending at the Metrodome. Deftones, Mudvayne, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Metallica. Monday is going to be a very sluggish day for me at work. But I think the concert will be worth one sluggish day at work. That reminds me... the Dome is loud. I should get some disposable ear plugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home