History Reheated

Life's Insane and So Are We

Friday, July 25, 2003

Of Perks, Baseball and Dark Lords

Ok, I realized yesterday, after Chad pointed it out to me, that I completely forgot to mention the fact that I went to the Twins game on Wednesday night. One of the perks with my job is that almost every day someone sends out a company email selling something. Very often it's tickets. In this case, Twins tickets. One of the attoneys was selling tickets located 4, count 'em, 4 rows behind home plate. I wish I had my freakin' camera with. I could have snapped some lovely shots of Mientkiewicz, Pierzynski, etc. Even though the Twins lost (which always seems to happen when I go to a game), we still had a good time. Two rows in front of us were some really funny guys calling out things to the Royals players. Probably one of the most humorous was when the Royals catcher took his mask off to talk to someone and one of them yelled "Put your mask back on! (pauses and looks around him) You're ugly!" The quote may not read as very humorous, but the way he said it was. Later in the game, one of them was trying to tell the Royals batter to hit the ball right to the short stop for a nice double play. It didn't happen, even though he said "please." The game also proved, once again, that fans are not completely impervious to injury. One girl a couple sections over from us got beaned in the face with a foul ball and a little later on of the Royals forgot how to hold on to his bat when he swung and sent it flying into the stands. Luckily with our seats, we were situated behind the ball net, so we were fine as long as the ball didn't fly high enough to just make it over the net.


For those of you who frequent the Penny Arcade website, you've been hearing.. well, reading... Tycho's comments about Knights of the Old Republic, a new game available on PC and Xbox. Now I wish that we still had an Xbox. I love the fact that in this game your personal choices decide whether you are on the light side or dark side. I've never been one for playing games on a PC, even though I do play the Sims and Age of Empires II from time to time, I much prefer lounging on a couch or in bed with a controller. I've never really paid much attention or really played any of the Star Wars games with the exception of Rogue Squadron, but KOTOR intrigues me because it sounds similar in concept with Morrowind (my game of choice from last summer).

About Morrowind:
For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Morrowind, it's a huge RPG with an estimated 400 hours of game play. Yes, 400, not 40. It also allows you to do pretty much whatever you want. Granted, yes, there are missions you have to accomplish, but you can take your time doing them and complete little side missions as well. My character was an assassin. Need I really say more? Anyway, in Morrowind, you earned reputation points. The more points you had the more famous/infamous you were. Being an assassin was tough though. The guards in towns always seemed to know when you killed someone, even if it was in a house and completely silent. And the guards would beat the shit out of you if they caught you. This comic displays this wonderfully. Anyone who enjoys RPG games would like this too.

Back to KOTOR:
Basically, it's this quote especially that got me really wanting this game:


"Dark Lords don't fuck around, they have very special projects that need working on and all of them involve hurting people. Not even for any reason. It is as though there is always a big Hurting People competition coming up, and you would like to make the hurting seem effortless."


I want this game and the Xbox it requires. Now that I'm a working woman, maybe it'll happen soon. And I could get Morrowind as well and start a new game for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home